“The bad new is, time flies. The good news is, you’re the pilot.” Michael Altschuler
I have dubbed today Happy News Day. I don’t read, watch, or pay attention to local or world news. I can hear the collective gasp! I am proof that you don’t have to watch the news to live. My mom was convinced I was going to fall into a sink-hole of non-information and be swallowed up by the ‘badness’ in the world many, many (sixteen?) years ago when I broke up with TV and especially the news. Guess what folks? I’m still standing.
Someone dared me to subject myself to an entire day of news today, so I did. But I did it with a twist, I subjected myself to happy news. Gotcha! He didn’t specify which kind of news to subject myself to, so I chose. Here are some of the awesome things I read about today that made me smile:
- Justin Timberlake posed with a couple taking wedding photos because he happened to be walking by >swoon< I know he is like 20 or 30 something, but I just LOVE JT! Such a cutie!
- Abbey D’Agostino (the most decorated Ivy League runner in the USA), was knocked down by another runner, Nikki Hamblin (New Zealand), during their Olympic Semi-Finals. Abbey reached down to help Nikki (who accidentally knocked Abbey down with a trip and fall) then they both eventually helped each other make it to the finish line. Beautiful spirit of an Olympian, somebody needs to give that girl a gold medal.
- Home Depot Workers in Ft.Worth, Texas, Eric Bindel and Christopher Wright built a surprise custom walker for a baby born with blindness and delayed muscle development due to Norrie Disease, after the baby’s grandpa came in inquiring about tools and equipment to build one himself.
- A 19 year old man in Canada, Kris Chung, gave part of his liver to a young Vietnamese twin girl who was living with a disease that required a transplant. Her father was a perfect match, but because her sister was the sicker of the two, the sister got the father’s donated piece of liver. This young man is now a part of the twins’ family.
- Pancho Ramos-Stierle giving us new ways to think and send out love from East Oakland in every situation really hit home, in more ways than one.
There are many places to get and give good news online, if you are interested in giving up bad news.
- The Daily Good delivers good news to my email inbox every day, sign up here to give and receive good news.
- Sunny Skyz is a good place to read and see videos on uplifting and inspiring things that people are doing all over the world.
- You can also check out the Good News Network to be inspired
- Happy News is always positive, check it out
- Reddit even has sections devoted to good news and uplifting stories
Here’s a thought: let’s go out and make our own good news, if you have any ideas, I’m open. Feel free to share in the comments.