“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” Isaac Asimov
Every year around this time, the “Best of the City” votes are tallied and the best restaurants, salons, spas, bars, etc. are voted on.
I made up my own list of The Top Ten Bests in Town and here it is:
- Best movie theater to buy one movie ticket and sneak into two others: definitely Cinemark Rio 24, I bet you could even get in without buying a ticket (the trick is to go to the bathroom immediately).
- Best grocery store to avoid parking lot panderers: Sprouts on Corrales on the Westside, but you have to go early in the morning (presumably before the beggars have a chance to “run out of gas” – the most common reason cited for needing other peoples’ money in Albuquerque).
- Best time of day to drive with the least chance of either being involved in a traffic accident or being slowed down by two: Never, you take your chances in this city every time you leave the house.
- Friendliest neighbors: University Heights. Don’t fret if you don’t like your neighbors, they will move out in 6 months anyway and then you get another chance at The Friendly Neighbor Lottery.
- Best Place to Beat the Heat in the Summer: Plan a vacation to somewhere else.
- Best ice-breaking, conversation-starter guaranteed to get anyone talking to you: “I’m thinking about getting a tattoo…”
- Best way to make friends with Albuquerque Police officers: “Friend” them on Facebook and buy them a drink (on or off-duty, up to you).
- Best place to see a ghost: The Hotel Parq Central – a former psychiatric hospital turned hotel. You may not know it but there are so many tourists flocking to Albuquerque that the hotel industry has left no stone unturned in an attempt to find suitable accommodations for the paying public . Yeah, I’m serious.
- Most effortless way to start a riot: When the waitress asks, “Red or Green?” Scrunch up your face and reply, “Neither. The chile in this town sucks!”
- Best place to see a sunset: Just look up. Literally anywhere.
There you have it, just in time for Thanksgiving. So much to be thankful for!