“Thanksgiving is an emotional time. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often.” Johnny Carson
In search of non-traditional, non-boring Thanksgiving Fare: we made turkey enchiladas; pork/apple/onion kabobs; stuffed acorn squash, potato salad, green salad, and my personal favorite: Jalapeño Apple Slaw with Honey Lime Vinaigrette. Red velvet cupcakes for dessert. I love the folks who just try stuff out and then post recipes online with pics. Here is the recipe for Jalapeño Apple Slaw with Honey Lime Vinaigrette from Food52. It was yummy!
- VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (or canola) – I substituted Avocado oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (optional)
- SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 2 large jalapeños – cut in half moons
- 1 medium bell pepper – red, orange, yellow or a combination of colors (using mini-bells) – I used a combo of red, yellow and orange
- 1 very large granny smith apple (preferred) but pink lady adds a delicious tart flavor, too – Granny Smith for me
- 2 green onions
- 7-1/2 cups finely sliced cabbage
- Finely slice the cabbage and cold water rinse. Drain well or send through a salad spinner; set aside, until needed.
- In a salad bowl, prepare the vinaigrette; mix together the honey, rice vinegar, safflower (Avocado oil), lime juice and salt. Wisk together until smooth and saucy, set aside.
- Core and thin slice the apple; add to the vinaigrette, coat all slices to prevent browning.
- Chop the green onions, jalapeños and bell pepper. Add to the apples, stir to coat ingredients.
- Add the well drained cabbage. Toss to coat.
- Chill at least 1 hour or long enough for all ingredients to incorporate.