“Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he’ll sit in a boat with a fishing pole and drink beer all day.” Lorena McCourtney
The Seafood Clay pot at Huong Thao Vietnamese restaurant is a must try! There are scallops, shrimp, octopus, shiitake mushrooms, lemongrass, and veggies. This dish is all kinds of goodness. I usually opt for a rice dish but since I’m currently living rice-free, I had to get creative. Instead of rice, opt for extra veggies! This dish was filling and yummy. Top it off with an avocado shake and go take a nap.
Here are a few benefits of eating a seafood broth that may help motivate you to eat up:
- Get your iodine. Why is this important? Low iodine count is linked to obesity, lower IQ, goiter, and hypothyroidism.
- Fish improves cognitive ability (knowledge and understanding through thought) as well as improves memory. It provides a mix of fats, vitamins, minerals and amino acids, too.
- Calcium. From what source? Dry the fish bones then powder them (in a food processor) to add them to the broth. Bones provide calcium which is a bone-building mineral that also helps muscle contraction (including the most important muscle = the heart), coagulate blood, and release hormones and enzymes in the body.
- Thyroid health. How? Fish broth is rich in thyroid-supporting nutrients many nutritionists recommend to support thyroid health. If you’ve got hyperthyroidism (a condition of an overactive thyroid) steer clear.
- Gelatin? Why is this important? Gelatin is a popular remedy for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis.
- Healthy fats and fat soluble vitamins. Fish broth includes high quantities of healthy omega-3 fatty acids as well as fat soluble vitamins. Healthy fats + fat soluble vitamins = nutrition delivered where your body needs it.
- Hydration: bone broth (and fish broth) is an excellent athlete’s drink. Post-game or competition, a little bone broth can help the body replenish electrolytes and hydrate. An added benefit is the amino acid content. Fish broth’s amino acids can actually help muscle repair and recover post-exercise.
Fish broth can be made with the entire fish (as in the clay pot described above) or with the fish head that would normally be thrown out anyway. Next time you have seafood, drink up that delicious and good-for-you broth.