“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” Kurt Cobain
There is a game that can tell you more about a person than the questions reveal at first glance. It’s called the Three Questions Game. Relational psychology posits that no matter how old you are, where you are from, what gender, etc. humans relate certain things with certain other things = free association. Ask someone these three questions but don’t forget it’s very important to ask for the reasons why they answered that way. Here are the questions:
- What is your favorite color and three deep reasons why
- What is your favorite animal and three deep reasons why
- What is your favorite body of water (ocean, river, rainfall, birdbath, swimming pool, etc.) and three deep reasons why
What they are actually answering is:
- favorite color – how they see themselves, their personality
- favorite animal – what they want in an ideal life partner
- favorite form of water – views about their own sexuality
If someone is having difficulty coming up with a favorite color, it may mean that (subconsciously) they don’t want to be tied down to being one way or another, or that they may struggle to understand themselves. This game is designed to get people to expose aspects of themselves without knowingly telling you about themselves. The key is to ask these questions without telling the person the meaning behind their answers (until after – if you choose). Observe their body language, nervous ticks when answering the questions, gestures. If you want the truth, don’t explain the game beforehand, do not tell them what the questions actually mean because you may get answers that reflect what they want you to think about them, instead of the truth. It can be a fun little party game for you to find out about others, if you choose.
I was asked these questions without knowing what I was revealing about myself and here are my true answers:
- What is your favorite color and three deep reasons why: Green because it is the color of plants, life and vitality. It represents mother earth to me and is a very nurturing color that reminds to love myself and others.
- What is your favorite animal and three deep reasons why: Elephants because they are majestic, mighty and strong but still very gentle creatures. They love their own deeply and are very committed to the family unit.
- What is your favorite body of water and three deep reasons why: Waterfalls because they are always going somewhere, never still and never the same from one moment to the next. They are powerful and breathtakingly beautiful.